Thursday, June 26, 2008

Harry Potter and LOTR

Sadly, I haven't done anything quite as exciting as le gay Paree, but C.P., B.L., and I all made it to the legendary Platform 9 3/4. (This is a Harry Potter reference/landmark, for the lesser learned.) We thought about showing our true identity and going all the way through, but we thought we would alarm the small children standing by.
We also had to take the classic in-a-British-phone booth picture, though no phone calls were actually made.

I've seen several more shows, including The Chalk Garden, which was pretty awesome. Today, however, I witnessed one of the most awesome theatre experiences ever imagined: The Lord of the Rings.

I know. I was a doubter. It sounds like the stuff of disaster (and in a way it is), but I haven't had that much fun in a play in a very, very long time. The story was cut incredibly, but it wasn't awkward and choppy (like Gone with the Wind). I can see why it didn't work commercially--the story and the acting aren't the most stellar to ever grace the theatre--but the effects, spectacle, and magic were absolutely breathtaking. Like Midsummer, it held some of the most beautiful moments I had ever seen onstage.

Gollum.

Lothlorien

We're starting on our last week here--crazy to think about. I'm hopefully going to see more awesome theatre, and I still need to go tour St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey, but I think I'm going to spend some time revisiting the places I've enjoyed most, like Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. It's been a pretty great ride, but I'm not going to lie, I'm ready to see a Taco Bell.

...although I hear I'm too late for Taco Johns. What is happening to my town?!? You leave the country for a month, and look what happens...

Break a leg, Company!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jule said...

oh mutant. you come home in a week and I LEAVE in a week. oh cruel fate