Monday, June 16, 2008

Tribute to the Motherland.

On Saturday, we went to the Trooping the Color--and saw the Queen! We didn't stay for the ceremony (where Her Maj inspects the troops), but we did see many soldiers with rifles/music.

This is my new boyfriend Herbert. We bonded. I waved. He blinked (I think). It's true love.

It's her! It's the Queen! We took bets to see what color she would be wearing this year. I guessed hot pink...obviously, I was mistaken, but after last year's lime green, anything is possible. I thought she was very classy. (Although I guess if she showed up naked, it would still be considered classy. That's what you get when you're Queen. Instant class.)
Just in case you ever wanted the experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9xeHqvGopM
Sunday we voyaged to Salisbury to mess around and to see Stonehenge. It was...just amazing. Absolutely incredible. And beautiful. And ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLwt0gHF1E

One of our friends asked, "You're going to see....rocks?" I guess in essence that's what they are, but it was so, so worth it. Thousands of years of weather and war, and there they were. Awesome.

We walked into Salisbury Cathedral just in time to catch the service--both the service and the church itself were gorgeous. The Cathedral also houses one of the two remaining copies of the Magna Carta. Random, but still cool.


Get ready. This rock...the round one on top of the base...is one billion years old. Literally. That's what the sign said. One billion. I touched it--not sure if that's allowed, but it's not like there's a gate around it. I touched something that is a billion years old. I don't even know what that means.

This morning we took a tour of the Royal Court Theatre (now one of my favorite places on Earth), K.L. and I bought tickets to le gay Paree, and we're going to see a show tonight at the Old Vic: Pygmalion.

More as the story develops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is dreadfully exciting :) thanks for my shout out. ;)
-jule